PEANUTS WORLDWIDE, THE MAIZE, INC. AND POPPELL FARMS CELEBRATE THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF “IT’S THE GREAT PUMPKIN, CHARLIE BROWN!” WITH A CUSTOM-DESIGNED PEANUTS-THEMED MAZE
POPPELL FARMS Will Have A Custom-Designed Peanuts-Themed Maze During the Halloween Season, Reaching More than 30,000 Visitors in the Area
In honor of the 50th Anniversary of one of the most beloved, quotable, and unforgettable Peanuts television specials of all time, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, Peanuts Worldwide and Poppell Farms are preparing a once-in-a-lifetime celebration: the creation of a unique corn maze, custom-designed to feature Peanuts themes.
The maze, which will feature Linus in the pumpkin patch, will cover 10 acres on the farm. It will be open every Friday night 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm, Saturday 10:00 am – 10:00 pm, Sunday 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm, October 1st through October 30th. In addition to the maze, Poppell Farms will host a special screening of It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown on Saturday, October 29th, 7:30 pm.
There will also be Great Pumpkin artwork in other areas of the farm, providing the perfect setting for visitor photo ops.
Poppell Farms is one of more than 60 farms in North America selected by Peanuts Worldwide to create a Great Pumpkin maze this year. Collectively, the farms-which are part of The MAIZE network and span North America in two countries and 32 states, from California to New York, Canada to Florida-will reach more than 2 million visitors during the Halloween season.
“The Great Pumpkin and cornfield mazes are two of the world’s greatest fall traditions, eagerly anticipated by fans every single year, and we’re so excited to bring them together for this landmark anniversary,” said Jill Schulz, daughter of Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz. “As we prepare to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown,” it’s only fitting that we should find a tribute that’s both joyful and visually compelling, just as my father’s characters have been for more than 65 years.
“We’re thrilled to work with Peanuts Worldwide and The MAIZE, Inc. as we customize our corn maze to celebrate It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown,” said Tanya Poppell of Poppell Farms. “Corn mazes are all about providing a fun and interactive experience for our visitors-even the adults feel like kids again! And that’s exactly what Peanuts does: Aren’t we all kids again when we see Snoopy and Charlie Brown? This is the perfect match of holiday traditions.”
It’s been a huge pleasure for us to collaborate with Peanuts Worldwide and corn farms across North America to design these unique, custom corn mazes,” said founder Brett Herbst, The MAIZE, Inc. “We’re all fans of Peanuts and the Great Pumpkin, and we’re delighted to honor the 50th Anniversary by having the Great Pumpkin, this one time only, rise out of a corn maze!”
It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: Fun Facts
- Originally aired October 27, 1966
- 2016 ABC airdate: TBA
- Third Peanuts television special to be created by Charles M. Schulz, directed by Bill Melendez, and produced by Lee Mendelson. (It was preceded by A Charlie Brown Christmas and Charlie Brown’s All Stars!)
- Music by Vince Guaraldi, whose famous “Linus and Lucy” theme (made famous by A Charlie Brown Christmas) is heard at the beginning of It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown ).
- Famous Quotes:
- “Tonight the Great Pumpkin will rise out of the pumpkin patch. He flies through the air and brings toys to all the children of the world.” – Linus
- “There are three things that I’ve learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.” – Linus
- “I was robbed! I spent the whole night waiting for the Great Pumpkin, when I could have been out for tricks or treats.” – Sally
- “I got a rock.” – Charlie Brown
- After the special first aired, Charles Schulz reported that distressed fans around the world sent packages of candy “just for Charlie Brown.”